I cannot believe I have already almost finished my first week of my internship! Absolutely insane! As fast as it has gone, it also feels like I have been doing it forever. Kind of weird how that works though. So anyways I would have to say my favorite day of the week was Tuesday! I had gotten the first day done with and I was getting the hang of things. I had never been to the Capitol before and I got to participate in a tour. It's absolutely amazing, and I love that I get special access to different places:) One of the fun parts of the job are the hilarious phone calls and letters you get in the office from the constituents and sometimes just random people in the country. We had the Savior of the world come by our office on Tuesday. He's been on the earth for 11 years but just decided now that he wanted to make an appearance. Not weird at all right? I also had a lady call one day and tell me that the Democrats were attacking the Republicans and she was calling to give us ammunition under us and fight them back. I told her I agreed and would make sure Congressman McCarthy would get right on that. Haha!
So today, Thursday, was Capitol tour training day aka 4 hours of rambling from people who think they know EVERYYYTHING. It was good information, but started getting repetitive after the first 2 hours. Oh well at least I can give tours now:) Plus it was cool to go through and see everything again. We also had an intern lunch and got to go down to the House floor and chill. Two things: they're seats are super comfortable, and they're also bullet proof and they're gas masks under the chairs. We're safe! Or not.... I don't think the bullet proof chair even covered my head, but hey it's Congress whatever they say is true right? haha. Oh and one more thing. There is a door in the Capitol that has real live snakes on the handles!! Okay they aren't real, they're dead but it's not fake. Kind of grossed me out blahhh!
So Tuesday night I also went and toured DC a little with one of the other interns. I hadn't really seen anything besides the Capitol so I was pretty excited! As we were walking to the White House the President's helicopter goes right over us! And when we get there the First Lady and her 2 girls were chilling on the balcony. Yeah totally saw them. Also walked to the Monument and then walked the mall back to the Capitol and Union Station. I had so much to see and do still, but it's hard when I don't get off work until 5 and most everything is closed by then. So my weekends will definitely be packed with things to do.
Well the fourth of July weekend is coming up and it's going to be full! I've been invited to do a few things with my roomies and then probably will chill with some of the other interns on the fourth. Hoping to see the Gettysburg reenactment! I also have been forgetting my camera, but prepared for lots of pictures:) That's all for now!
No comments:
Post a Comment