Sunday, August 7, 2011

Last Post from D.C.

I cannot believe this day has already come. My six weeks here have just flown so fast. This experience has been a once in a life time opportunity and I have learned so much. I am so grateful to have had this chance, especially at such a historic time. My job wasn't always easy and not all the time fun, but those moments were just a blink of an eye compared to the overall wonderful experience I had. My favorite part was probably going into the House Gallery and watching debates and House votes. I also enjoyed wandering aimlessly through the capitol, just because i could. I worked where History is made, where our Country happens. I still can't get over that. 

My last week of work was pretty laid back. After they went into recess there really wasn't much left to do but answer phones and give tours. I actually gave three tours, which is a lot for one week. (I was usually only giving one a week.) I loved giving tours and being able to share something with people. The phone calls this past week were horrible though. People were so ANGRY about the debt budget deal. There was this one guy that called me almost everyday this week. He was very much a tea party conservative and fed up with the direction the republicans were heading. He said he didn't really know who to vote for president because he didn't know who he could trust anymore. By the last day these were his remarks, "Miss what's your name," and I responded, "Kylee." After that he goes on to say that if he continues to be unimpressed with the presidential candidates and there was no one to represent him that he was going to call the office and get my information and was putting my name on the ballot. The funniest thing about this was that he was serious. The guy was so funny and that was the best phone call to end my internship. I think I was laughing for an hour after I got off the phone with him. 

Yesterday was my last day to tour around D.C. I went to the National Mall and saw all the monuments I hadn't had a chance to see yet. They're pretty amazing really. I'm glad I had a chance to see them before I leave. I didn't get to do a lot of things I wanted to because I worked Monday-Friday from 9-6, so by the time I got off work most everything was closed. However, I was here for the internship and not vacation so I was okay with it. Just hoping to make it back one day on vacation. I need get to see and do a lot of things though. 

Well, my flight leaves tomorrow at 6:35. So early! So most likely I will be catching the last train out of Union Station tonight to Baltimore and just the night in the airport. I'm mostly packed, except for things I need to get ready for church. Laundry is all done just need to vacuum and dust the room I have been staying in. I still can't believe this is it! I'll be heading back to the West, in Utah for a week and then home to Oakley for a few days then off to college at Dixie State. This summer has flown by, but it will be one that I will remember and cherish the memories forever! Goodbye D.C.! It's been great! 

No comments:

Post a Comment