Sunday was PACKED! Left for Time Square in the morning by 9 in order to get to the Mary Poppins box office so I could get my student discount for the show. After ticket was in hand my friend and I went and walked around Time Square. Absolutely amazing! I pretty much was on Time Square for the majority of the day. We went and saw the huge Toys 'R Us and the Disney store, just to name a couple. Then headed to Olive Garden for lunch where my view out the window was the Wicked billboard. I was in heaven. I then went to the matinee showing of Mary Poppins on Broadway. My first Broadway show and it was spectacular! The special affects, choreography, singing, scenery, was just amazing! Couldn't have been any better and fulfilled all my expectations. I would have to say that was the highlight of my trip. After the show I went to Ground Zero where they are now rebuilding the World Trade Centers. That area is very quiet and so crazy to imagine 9/11 happened right there. After that I walked to Battery Park and saw the Statue of Liberty. I'm now a true American:) Then it was back to the apartment to get my rest for the audition the next day!
AUDITION FOR THE ROCKETTES! Even though I didn't make it, it was an amazing opportunity and experience. The auditions were scheduled to begin at 10 Monday morning. I got there at 8:30 and there was already a line! After waiting outside for an hour they took us in to Radio City Hall where we were all ushered upstairs into rooms to stretch and wait for our turn to show the judges what we got. I was probably in the audition for 40 minutes tops. 50-100 girls (many former Rockettes) were soon put into a rehearsal hall. Keep in mind There were 3 other groups this size. They taught us a short combo and then divided us into 3 large groups where we could practice a couple times full out before performing in front of the judges. The music was a live pianist which was really cool!! After going through group rotations 3 times it was time to show the judges. They took three at a time and we only got to do the combo once. After all the girls had gone through they announced who made it past the first cut. I didn't make it, but I didn't feel bad at all. There were only 10-15 girls who were called back. Not many at all. Even a girl I thought had it in the bag didn't make it. It's a very competitive audition, but I'm so glad I got to go and do it. I felt like I had the choreography down pretty well and went out there and performed and gave it what I could and I had a blast. I can't wait to get more audition opportunities.
Right now I'm headed back to DC on the bus. We were stuck in a crazy rain storm so I'm sure the trip home is going to be a little longer than it was going. Good thing there is Wi-Fi to keep me occupied:) I still can't believe that I leave for home a week from today. Time has seriously flown by. It's been such a wonderful experience out here and I have learned a lot. I am however getting excited to go back to the West where I can shop at a Wal-Mart for groceries and where the humidity doesn't kill me, and of course to see my family. Gotta make the most of my last week here! Lots to do!
P.S. Washington, D.C. metro system is a lot easier to use and cleaner than New York's. Also, you don't have the homeless walking across car to car while it's going asking for money and singing you awkward love songs. Just saying.
No comments:
Post a Comment