Sunday, June 26, 2011

Internship at the U.S. Capitol

Well after a long, and I mean long, day of traveling I finally made it last night to the place I will be living for the next 6 weeks. It's a very nice, cute little home with 4 other girls living here. I haven't met them all yet, but they seem to all be very nice. One problem, they are all BYU grads and law grads.... and then there is me. So I do feel a little out of place for now, but I'm hoping that will change. Plus once I start my internship tomorrow I'll be home to sleep and that will pretty much be it. I am grateful that I have my own room. I think a lot of people take it for granted, I know I did, but it's a good feeling to know that if I want alone time I can have it.

To my dad: I would give anything at this time to have our freezing cold house back. My room is upstairs and I forgot how hot it gets upstairs, especially during the summer and then add in the humidity. The main level is fine, but of course my room isn't on the main level:) So dad go turn the thermostat down and think of me. 

I'm hoping to also be able to adjust to the time change soon. It was an interesting night. I was so exhausted but my body didn't want to settle down for the night. Part of that was probably jet lag as well. But I guess I could say I took a leap 2 hours into the future haha:) At least for TV shows. I'll know who got off SYTYCD a whole 2 hours before anyone back home knows. That's a plus right? And at least 3 o'clock church will only feel like 1 o'clock church for now. 

I haven't had the time to go sightseeing yet. Hoping maybe to get a little in tonight though. However, we drove past the Capitol from the train in the taxi and what an amazing thing to see! I think my jaw may have dropped to the floor, but it's so funny how to people who live back here don't even really realize it. I was in the cab with a girl from New Jersey who commutes to NYC everyday and it was like she didn't even see it. That I don't understand, but I guess it's because I'm definitely not a city slicker and not used to such things at all. One thing I do love here is how green it is. And they call Boise the city of trees? Yeah right... Everything here is gorgeous. I don't think I've seen one dead tree or anything. Even every lawn is as green as could be! 

Well that is everything in a nut shell for now. I begin my internship tomorrow morning so I'm sure I will have plenty of stories to update my blog with. Let's just hope I can find time!

2 comments:

  1. Kylee we are so happy you made it safe and sound! You will love it! Soak up every minute of it - it will go by so fast. It was super fun to see you at the reunion. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you sweetie! I wish I was a fly on the wall so I could see your jaw drop when you see the White House. What an amazing country we live in! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete